If you have adopted for a shared hosted desktop infrastructure such as Citrix XenApp for Shared desktops. Then you're going to at some point going to have to understand how Shared Computer Activation works and why we need it?
Shared computer activation lets you deploy Microsoft 365 Apps to a computer in your organization that is accessed by multiple users.
Shared computer activation is required for scenarios where multiple users share the same computer and the users are logging in with their own account. Normally, users can install and activate Microsoft 365 Apps only on a limited number of devices, such as 5 PCs. Using Microsoft 365 Apps with shared computer activation enabled doesn't count against that limit. If your users have dedicated computers and no other users work on those computers then SCA is not a requirement.
Below is a quick setup guide on how to prepare an image with SCA for deployment to your Citrix farm.
1. Prepare the standard Citrix image without Office installation
2. Download office 2016 deployment tools and extract to C:\ODT folder (on a client), ensure that the data has downloaded to the c:\ODT folder should be about 1.7GB.
3. The command for download is setup.exe /download configuration.xml (see config file to use, in my example the config file was ProPlus.xml)
4. Make sure the users have the Office 365 ProPlus license
5. Once download copy the ODT folder to shared server to C:\ so will be in same location C:\ODT
6. From the shared server run command prompt in admin mode, setup.exe /configure configuration.xml
7. This should install the office from the local binaries
Make the following registry changes so office runs in Shared computer activation mode.
1. Run registry editor do below.
2. If you've already deployed Office 365 ProPlus, you can enable shared computer activation on a computer by using Registry Editor to add a string value of SharedComputerLIcensing with a setting of 1 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration.
Starting office now will not give an error and will require login. However if specifyinh the correct settings in the config file the reg changes will not be required.
When logging in as an end user the license will still be associated to the user that download the product, to change this do the below on the server.
To remove the activation product key from the pc please follow the below steps:-
Open C drive\Program Files (X86) OR Program Files\Microsoft Office\ Office16\This folder should have OSPP file in it \ Copy the path.
Path should be like : C:\Program Files (x86)OR Program Files \Microsoft Office\Office16. Open CMD as an admin. (Search for CMD right click on it and select "Run As Administrator" Type cd and paste the copied path of the OSPP. Type cscript.exe ospp.vbs /dstatus Then hit Enter. The Command prompt will have a Product Key in it keep a note of it. Now run the following command as many times as needed to remove all of the license keys you noted from the previous step.
cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:<last five characters of product key>
You should see a message on the Command Prompt stating "Product key was successfully uninstalled" Now launch Word and then on the activation screen enter the office 365 credentials and activate office. To customise the install of Office 365 Pro Plus add the following to the script file to exclude certain apps, the following excludes Access, Excel and InfoPath from the download binaries.
<Add SourcePath="c:\odt\" OfficeClientEdition="32">
<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail" >
<Language ID="en-us" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Excel" />
<ExcludeApp ID="InfoPath" />